I don't know about you but I sometimes get tired of seeing all the law of attraction quotes on social media, they always make creating what you want sound so easy. Quotes like, "Change Your Thoughts and Change Your World." Have you ever tried to simply change your thoughts, it really isn't as easy as that, though it is true. When you change your thoughts you will change how you feel and this will prompt you to take different actions and you will get different results.
Changing your thoughts can be a challenge, this is because your unconscious mind likes to bring up reasons why the new thought you have created is not true or possible. It is important to brainstorm several new ways of looking at your situation so that you can come up with a new thought that feels authentic and true to you, it also needs to be aligned with your desired outcome.
Here are the 5 steps I follow when I want to create a different outcome;
- Become very clear on what success looks like and feels like to you. Describe why you want to achieve this outcome and how your life will be different if you are successful.
- Determine how you are looking at this outcome right now. Are you looking at it as a problem or an outcome you want to create? If you are looking at it as a problem redirect your thoughts to what you want to create. Focusing on outcomes will help you see opportunities.
- Make a list of all of the possible actions you can take.
- Make a note of all objections coming at you from your subconscious e.g. I can't do that because...... These thoughts maybe reality however in my experience they are often self-limiting beliefs, challenge them by asking, "if that were not true what would I do?" or "is this really the truth or a story I keep telling myself?" Sometimes it helps to work with a coach or a therapist to help you address self-limiting beliefs.
- Review all of the ideas that came up in number 3 and make a commitment to take action. It doesn't matter how small the action is, sometimes smaller is better because it is less overwhelming. The important point here is that you take action.
The Institute of Professional Excellence in Coaching (iPEC) has developed an assessment called The Energy Leadership Index Assessment (ELI). People who take this assessment discover which of their core thoughts are creating different energy levels and how these energy levels are either supporting their success or preventing them from accomplishing their goals. With this new awareness, they are able to choose a new thought aligned with the energy level that will get them the results they want.
If you would like help with a self-limiting belief or would like to know more about the Energy Leadership Index Assessment click the link to schedule a commitment-free "Get Acquainted Call" with me and I will get you started on your journey to make it happen.